Monday, February 19, 2007

Throwing Another One On The Pile?

Seems people are losing their minds a little more every day in this country.

The latest example has to be the banning of the following...


"The Higher Power of Lucky", by Susan Patron, is being pulled out of schools and libraries all over the country because it contains a bad word.

Never mind it won the the Newbery Medal, the most prestigious award in children’s literature.

Never mind that!

It has a BAD word on the first page. One bad word on the first page!

What's this BAD word you ask? The one word that sentenced this book to be banned?

Are you ready? Please brace yourselves for the following filth....

"SCROTUM"

Scro-tum! The word "scrotum" has got librarians all hot and bothered.

Full story here

One of these twits went as far to say this....

“This book included what I call a Howard Stern-type shock treatment just to see how far they could push the envelope, but they didn’t have the children in mind.”

The woman who said that is a teacher... It's a wonder American children get dumber every year while the rest of the world soars by us in education. With grand thinkers like that leading the way!

It seems everyone is scared of a child asking the following...

Child: "What's a scrotum?"

To which the parent would have to tell the kid the following...

Parent: "It's part of a man's upper leg."

Or tell the truth.... Either way, big deal!

This one moment of lying to a child is worth banning an award winning piece of literature? People need to get over themselves!

If we want to protect children from a book why don't we start with the bible?

But I digress.....

I was thinking about this over the weekend and I came up with some questions I'd find harder to answer as a parent of an eight year old. All are quite possible these days.

1. Why are three different men claiming to be the father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby? I thought there's one mommy and one daddy?

2. What is war and why did Billy from up the street die in one?

3. Is there really a Santa Claus?

4. What happens when we die?

5. Why is Paris Hilton famous?


ALL of these would take longer than the scrotum answer. This is what we worry about these days in America.... Never mind the following
  1. The war
  2. Our incompetent President

  3. Global Warming

  4. The continuing non-rebuilding of New Orleans

  5. Ongoing racism and homophobia

  6. Our STILL unsecured borders and airports
Nope! Not important to these people to protect the children from any of that. If they can just keep them safe from the word "scrotum" everything will be all right in their tidy, insane worlds!

The best part of all of this is the fact there is another book in every school library in the country that contains the word scrotum. It's flying under the radar right now but soon it will find itself on the pile burning with the rest of the books we need to keep children safe from.

What is this filthy book?

Just yesterday, I heard Howard Stern reading from it on the air....

14 Comments:

Blogger B. said...

Interesting. I've never heard of that book. I'll have to ask our librarian if we'll be ordering that. LOL.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is another case of people have way too much time on their hands and have to complain about little stuff......

I agree with Rosie what about Judy Blum? The Bible?


and I agree with your questions ....

If they are going to ban something then they should ban the rap music with swear words, the playstation games that encourage bloody killing, and ban any footage of Anna Nicole Smith, George W Bush and any other idiot....

1:16 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

Rosiegirl - I completely agree regarding Catholic school/church - what better way to find out about all the delicious body parts!

And Annoyed, I loved the line:
If we want to protect children from a book why don't we start with the bible?

Talk about possibly the most destructive book in the world. I think the bible is much more offensive than any piece of literature out there. But that's just my atheist opinion.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second everything you and Rosie just said.

The only thing that makes me feel better living in this world of ignorant retards is knowing that if it came down to it, I'm higher on the food chain. Yup, in a life or death situation...I'd be BBQ'ing these morons.

4:19 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Oh Fuck me! that is just so stupid. Scrotum isn't a bad word. neither is penis. My son when he was in pre-kindergarden at the rip old age of 5 was told that he couldn't say penis in school when another kid kicked him there. I had a fit and totally wigged out on the teacher. I actually asked her if she would prefer my son said, balls and or dick since he knows those words too. She would prefer private parts. Okay, but penis is still not a bad word.

Banning books is wrong. Same kid from above is now 13. It's really hard for me to get him to read, but if he can see the word fuck in print, he'll read the book. Judy Bloom has a great book called FOREVER which discusses sex and has that word in it. My son read the whole thing and we discussed it. Life is good. Then he bought this war book. The f bomb was dropped frequently and the kid couldn't put the book down. The book also dealt with this young man's worry that since he was going off to war he might die a virgin. My son loved this book. I read it and while I agree, it's a bit on the mature side, my son and I were able to discuss it openly. He read a god damned book. He enjoyed it. I had some quality time with my kid and had the opportunity to teach him about life and the dangers of sex and all that other good parenting shit.

Now I'm just pissed off.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Jen,

That's because you choose to actually "parent" your child instead of depending on society to do it for you.

Very strange these days how rare that is....

8:04 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Thanks Annoyed!

Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with this "being a parent" these days. It seems everyone is so caught up in "protecing" their kids. Sure, I want to protect them, that's why I have parental controls set up on the computer. but I'm not an idiot. The dangers are out there. It's my job to strap them with information. It's like the parent who says, "Not my kid." Hell, it will be my kid if they are anything like I was as a kid. My kids are going to make mistakes. They are going to drink and have sex. They are going to get hurt and I can not, nor do I want to protect them from everything. They need to learn how to deal with life on lifes terms. And banning a book that uses the correct word a man's balls is not going to help them. Only make them more curious.

Okay, off my fucking soap box.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scary part is these "brain surgeons" are breeding faster than thinking people are--soon we'll be overrun by dimwits and dingbats!!

Lela

10:19 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Lela,

You have a blog?

Just curious since you've been popping in here and I'm not sure from where!

:-)

If you have one I'd love to check it out... Either way, thanks for continuing to check in here.

A

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Oh and Jen,

You are right...

My parents did a great job raising me. However, I did some drugs, had some sex, and drank some booze.

All part of growing up and to a bigger extent.... life!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit like this makes my head explode...

Good thing these people never open a newspaper or they'd want to ban those too.

And whatever you do don't let them near my Blockbuster or my movie nights will be over.

And you did drugs, sex and alcohol?! You criminal you ;)

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good rant blog. Keep it up!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

Hey Annoyed,

Was it your blog that linked to the license plate site where you could look them up and comment on people's driving? If it is, can you send me the link? either email me (gmt903 [at] gmail [dot] com) or just leave a comment on my site.
Thanks!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

This is the reality of our world, and it sucks. The problem with sheltering our children too much is that when they do actually go out in the real world, they won't have a clue how to deal with it. Better to expose them to the real world and then discuss it so they armed with the tools to make good choices.

Great post as always.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home