Thursday, January 25, 2007

Random Stuff

Mostly because I'm tired of seeing that woman's face every time I open my blog.

It's been a busy, tiresome week. Mind numbing but exciting also.

Let's see.....


Random Thing #1

I went to my father's house and tried to teach him and my stepmother how to use the Ipod I gave them for Christmas. Trying to teach two people above the age of 50 to use an Ipod was like trying to teach monkeys how to read braille. The whole concept was/is beyond them. It took an hour but they seemed to grasp it when I left.


I got a call today from my father to inform me that he erased the entire Itunes library last night. I have no idea how.




Random Thing #2




Can someone tell me where I was in 1999?

Because it sure as shit wasn't in front of my Television to watch the most brilliant show EVER on the pains of growing up. How the hell did NBC dump "Freaks and Geeks" after 18 episodes?

"Maybe because no one, including you, watched it asshole?"

Fair enough! However, I should have watched it! Hell, EVERYONE should have been watching this show! You owe it to yourself to rent this show through Netflix or Blockbuster online. The writing is top notch. The acting is perfect. The stories hit close to home and are full of honesty and humor.

If I create a show one tenth this good someday I will consider my life a success.

And I've only seen six episodes so far..... Six episodes and I'm ready to say this was one of the best written television shows I've ever seen. It's really THAT good.

And since I know you are wondering what the rest of my list would be.

In no particular order.

  1. NYPD Blue
  2. Rescue Me
  3. The Sopranos (Seasons 1, 2, 4 & 5)
  4. The West Wing
  5. Deadwood
  6. Homicide
  7. The Shield
  8. The Larry Sanders Show
  9. Cheers
  10. The Simpsons
  11. Arrested Development
  12. Seinfeld
  13. The Wonder Years
  14. Fraiser
  15. All in the Family

And that's all I've got off the top of my head.

Random Thing #3

My writing partner and I finally got a phone call to submit an episode idea to a major network for consideration. I spent the better part of the week on the phone doing last minute rewrites, talking to lawyers and haggling with the writers guild. I'll post more information as it becomes available. We're proud of it and it's honestly enough for me that they've agreed to even read it.

Well, that's it for now. Hope everyone is enjoying their weeks....

14 Comments:

Blogger I signed up just to point out how dumb you are said...

Shit. My internet connection randomly decided to cut off as that comment was publishing. If it doesn't show up I said that F&G is in my top 5 greatest TV shows of all time. If it does show up just delete this!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Awesome post, man. The iPod stuff made me crack up, and I am so on board with Freaks and Geeks. Great show!

Many congrats on your potential writing gig! Best of luck with that...hope it all works out for you. Don't forget your good friend Dim when you are a bigshot writer!

- D.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freaks and Geeks was my favorite show back then. I was crushed when it was cancelled.

My mom took one look at my Ipod and said, fuck that. Cracked me up.

Congrats to you and your friend.

4:46 AM  
Blogger JT said...

First, thanks for getting rid of the picture of that woman! I was getting tired of it too.

And I'm doing the happy, happy dance for you (with long hair, I will never cut it again, I promis!). I hope the episode thing works for you! Oh, that would be sooooooo exciting!

FREAKS AND GEEKS! Oh my God! I cried when they canceled it! God, that was like watching my teenage years play out on national television!

My favorite TV show right now - CRIMINAL MINDS. It's given me a lot of material for my books.

As far as my favorite all time TV show. Gee, I'd have to say ALL IN THE FAMILY and maybe I LOVE LUCY. I know, I'm not that old, but loved those shows.

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about teaching older people any tech stuff...my mother and her new computer??!! **GAAAA** drives me nucking futts!

Good list...I'd go for Cheers and Seinfeld. Didn't they used to be on back to back on Thursday nights like 15 years ago? Now it's all about the boxed sets at the video store...no commercials :)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL….the parents, the iPod….reminds me of my mother who wanted to make the argument that she preferred her 1976 Encyclopedia Brittanica to Wikipedia because, after all, it did not get viruses….we were giving her a computer lesson!!

Freaks and Geeks….never even heard of it….but I may have to check it out….always searching for a good new (to me) TV series on DVD…..LOVE ‘em!!

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog and I hope you too are looking forward to a great weekend!!

Big congratulations for your great news re: your writing!! That is totally AWESOME!!!

7:24 AM  
Blogger A.S.S. said...

Speaking as a person who read your submission and thought it was VERY godd I wish you the best of luck.
Perhaps you will get rich and can finance our mutual habit for a while.

7:59 AM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

few things
1) Ipod. i want to get my mom a digi camera for her b'day in Feb..and I dread it for that same reason.

2) I have not seen an episode but I have and will add to my neflix queue as I have been meaning to do. Mrs March is watching "big love" series (it was on Showtime) so I'll get that next.

3) AMAZING!! Keep us posted.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

Congrats on the possible gig. I love to hear about creative writing projects, and always happy to hear when they succeed!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

1. My mom is excited when she cuts and pastes something on the computer. Trying to learn an iPod? Oh, HELL no.

2. I've never seen that show, but although I know I should, it seems like it would hit a little too close to home for me. Sadly, I was a geek.

3. If you could hear me squeal with excitement like a 12-year-old girl at a Cheetah Girls concert over your possible episode-writing gig, you'd wonder about my sanity. Even at this stage, I'm just so proud of you. Best of luck.

8:35 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I remember hearing about Freaks and Geeks, but never saw it. I'll have to look for it.

Wow! Two of your top shows would be on my list too. Seinfeld and Cheers. We maybe have 2 things in common now, as I know that our commonalities are hard to come by. :)

Congrats on the submission!

5:09 AM  
Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

I had to show my father in law how to use his ipod too. Not an easy task and the man has a doctorates degree.

And....OMG.....so freaking awesome for you on the writing news. I'm crossing everything on me that they love it. You're brilliant so how could they not.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

OK, nothing to do with this post, but can you please do a "People I Can Do Without" on Peyton Manning??

PLEASE?!?!

- D.

8:12 PM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Please keep us up to date about the writing gig! Lots of luck!

My mom gave away the Ipod we got her because she could not figure it out.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home