Wednesday, January 10, 2007

People I Can Do Without #13

So is this the way it's going to be for the rest of my life? Every year the Baseball Hall of Fame votes its' new class in am I going to have to hear about Mark McGwire for days and days and days????

Let me be the last to say....

FUCK MARK MCGWIRE!

I hope he never gets into the Hall of Fame! And not for the reason you think. I for one could give a shit about the whole steroid issue. The fact is, and this may come as an utter shock to some people, Mark McGwire was not a great player!

In fact, I'll go as far as to say he sucked.

Any Hall of Fame should be reserved for the truly great and not the pretty good. It should be an award for an entire career of excellence and not a few good years.

Mark McGwire never hit for average. He never ran the bases well and he couldn't field for shit. Couldn't stay healthy and never won an MVP award. He was a power hitter in the age of power hitters. Big fucking deal.

In 1993 he actually begged out of the line up the final game of the season because he was afraid to go 0-4 and finish with a batting average under .200.

That's the stuff of Hall of Famers?

I don't fucking thing so!

His career stats are bloated because of the juiced years.... Again, I have no problem with taking roids. The fact is, no matter what the media tells you, steroids are not bad for you. They're just not. When taken in proper amounts by healthy, grown men, there is ZERO scientific research to support any claim of them leading to future health problems.

ZERO, zilch, nada!

I have the problem with the fact he wasn't a very good player before taking them. He played his final years against shitty pitching in small ass ballparks while juiced. Unlike Barry Bonds who had three MVP awards BEFORE 1995, and four after, McGwire was never the best player in the game.

For one summer he and Sammy Sosa smacked a bunch of balls out of a bunch of ball parks while people cheered and pretended not to know what was really going on....

For ONE summer.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. And I never comment on sports shit, but he was never a good player and nobody knew who he was until that one season.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

I don't know a thing about sports, so I really can't comment. My house does not follow baseball too much. They are football fanatics, but I only watch when I have to. So I'll take your word for it;))

9:01 AM  
Blogger Potsie said...

I have mixed opinions with your thoughts as well as Debbie's.

First off, I'm not goign to lose any sleep over McGwire not getting into the Hall of Fame.

As for no one knowing him? That is a crock. The Oakland Athletics were known as a powerhouse because of their two big hitters: Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. He had over 400 home runs before the season where he hit 70.

He was a good player. I don't agree with his methods, but there is no doubt in my mind that he does have natural talent. That being said, anyone on the sauce, such as Bonds or McGwire, or Giambi for that matter, should never come close to the Hall of Fame.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Joc-

When people comare Bonds to McGwire and Giambi they lose me a bit.

Bonds was the best player in baseball from 1986-1994. He had three MVPs in that time. The only other player worthy of mention is Griffey JR.

If Bonds had dropped dead the day the strike ended in '95 he was a 1st ballot Hall of Fame guy. No question about it.

Thye same can't be said about the others.

Bonds was the best player before the Steroid era and the best player during it.

He deserves to go.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Potsie said...

He deserves to go, with an asterisk.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

*Best player of two eras

;-)

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To say he wasn't a good player, is not correct. He was a very good player, but "great"? I don't know about that. He was a great power hitter. You can't deny that. He is the all-time leader in HR/AB. For me the poor batting average is offset by his excellent on-base percentage.

However, he was a one-trick pony. He sucked defensively, had no speed, and well, there's the old character issues. He wasn't the dominant 1B of his era. Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro and possibly others would have something to say about that. There are plenty of reasons not to vote him into the HOF.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Perhaps I should have stressed "All Around Player"

Either way.... No go!

7:04 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Sorry, don't watch baseball. Want to talk hockey?

5:18 AM  
Blogger A.S.S. said...

Mark Mcguire has very small testicals....... VERY SMALL!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I don't know much about baseball or Mark McGuire's testicle size, but I wanted to let you know that we watched the second half of Curb season 5 last night and you were right: it was hilarious!! Or should I say pretty pretty pretty good.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home