Monday, January 08, 2007

Resolution Time

Well, seven days gone into the new year and I've broken everyone of my resolutions. That's the way it goes I suppose.

Resolution #1

This was the year I was going to quit smoking. I still may but for now I'll just keep enjoying the flavor of cancer. Stupidest thing in the world to do. I know that. I also know life's not fair. That I have a friend in his early 30s battling for his life in a war against cancer. I'm 0% sure of what he did to deserve it. He's one of the more genuine people you'd ever want to meet. I am 100% sure it had nothing to do with smoking.

I'm also very aware of the state of the world right now. That I may get blown up any day driving through the Holland Tunnel on the way to work. I don't lose sleep over it, I just accept that there are people in the world who want my American ass dead for no "good" reason. I'd hate for that to be the day AFTER I stopped smoking.

And then there's my kids.... The one's I don't have yet. I'd like to see them have their own some day. I'm fairly certain that won't happen if I don't stop smoking. It's a balance between being optimistic and pessimistic. A dreamer and a realist.

Maybe I'll find that balance this year.... In between giant bouts of vertigo.


Resolution #2


This is the year I was going to start eating right and exercising. Well, 9,000 calories a day later, I'm heavier than I've ever been. I'm still far from being a complete fat bastard but I can see the future and it looks dim in my massive shadow.

I belong to a gym.... Doesn't everyone? I got smart last year and joined one for $15 a month. At least I can say "I belong to a gym" and not be going broke paying for the line of shit. Guilt is lessened by the size of the bill sometimes.

Resolution # 3 I was going to become a Republican this year. After all, liberals are so wimpy and full of it. In my 30 years thinking liberal nothing has changed for the better. NOTHING!

However, until the Republicans get their shit together and kick the Christian Conservatives out of their party I will be forever pulling the lever on the left. The Christian Right has ruined the Republican party and in turn have done more damage to this country than any terrorist could do with 30 planes.

Yeah, I said it.... deal with it.

Conservatives preach limited spending, staying out of people's personal affairs, and empowering people without government interference.

Those are ideas I can get behind. Ideas I WANT to get behind.

However, the MINORITY that is the Christian Right has made people's personal lives the entire focus of debate. They want to tell a woman what she can do with her body and they want to tell gay people that the way they were born is a "life style choice" and that it's wrong.

Hypocrites!

Note to the Republicans..... If you want to NEVER lose another election find moderate Republicans to run. Support a women's right to choose and a man's right to put his dick anywhere he wants when he's with a consenting adult. Kick the Christian Right out and force them to start their own political party. Most Americans, men and women, would vote for the republican ideal if you actually start representing it!

Resolution #4


This was the year I was going to accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior.

After, all I was told around Christmas time that failure to do so would cause me to go to hell when I die.

Well, I changed my mind.

First of all expecting Jesus to be your "Personal" anything is presumptuous. Jesus doesn't have time to deal with everyone's personal shit. That's why it's your PERSONAL shit! Keep it to yourself!

Jesus doesn't need to know you're sorry for staring at your neighbor's daughter and thinking dirty thoughts. You're sorry? Fine! Move on and get past it.... Jesus doesn't care. He's a guy so he gets it! He's been there and now he's in Heaven. There is room for your ass too!

Second, not only does he NOT have to time to be your "personal" Lord he certainly doesn't have time to "save" you as well. Save yourself!

Most of these "born again" assholes did worse things, in one 10 year stretch, than ten people combined could cram into a single lifetime. You really think "accepting Jesus" gets you a free pass over someone who hasn't blown a guy in a crackhouse bathroom while having withdrawals from the heroin they robbed their grandmother to buy?

Get over yourself, you self-righteous prick! If Heaven lets you in and keeps people like me out then there's something wrong with the whole system!

Resolution #5
This was the year I was going to start watching shows like The Apprentice, Survivor, and American Idol.

Then I remembered the same people that watch these shows turned their backs on Deadwood, Homicide and Arrested Development.... and ignore shows like The Shield and Rescue Me.

I'll stick with my DVDs again this year and hope the rest of America wakes up to good storytelling and acting. Then again, forget them! Their on their own.

When your idea of a 'reality' features Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson judging "talent" or a group of pretentious women backstabbing each other for the right to marry some rich dick, or worse yet, Flavor Flav.... then you are beyond saving. And certainly beyond actually speaking to!


Resolution #6

This is more of a promise.... one I intend to keep.

I promise that I will be brutally honest on this blog this year. I spent last year censoring myself quite a bit. See, I'm fond of all of my readers. I appreciate you all. However, I actually haven't written stuff I knew would "hurt" some of you. After the Rusty, Nascar thing I started to be more aware of what I wrote and it's affect on people.

Some would argue that was a good thing and maybe it was but I can't do that anymore.

So, if I offend anyone, it isn't on purpose..... Just being me. You can choose not to read. However, I hope you opt for the alternative and fire back at me. Hit me with your best shot and let's engage in some actual debate this year. Not name calling and insults but some good ole' honest, intelligent debate!

Life's too short to keep it to yourself.

I hope you join me in the coming year for the discussion.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DON'T CENSOR YOURSELF FOR ANYONE!!!

Fuck what other people think. I stopped caring a long time ago. It might not seem like it, but I don't give a fuck if I offend someone on my blog.

You should see the hate emails I get. Fucking morons.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Deb,

You were the one person I NEVER worried about offending!
;-)

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't offended me yet, but if you start beating up old ladies and selling drugs to kids then I might have to stop reading LOL

5:53 AM  
Blogger JT said...

I don't do resolutions because they fail. I don't like to fail.

Res 1 - Smoking. I did it. Started when I was like 10. I quit when I was 23. Husband said that if I ever wanted children with him I need to quit. I quit the next day. My father did die at age 48, partly due to smoking. Massive heart attack. I've had many relatives die of cancer, many of them never smoked. None of them deserved it.

Quit smoking - it will make you feel healthier. Understand it's hard. Damn hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Now a mom of three kids, I have to set a good example. Damn, I hate that.

RES # 2 - nope, not touching that one. I've gained 15 pounds this year, after loosing 40. I need to do this one myself.

RES # 3 - I am a republican. I am not a liberal. I'm not a feminist. But I do believe I should be able to make up my own fucking mind (I'm an intelligent human being). It bothers me that my daughter can not get her belly button peirced without my written concent (it's just a piece of stupid jewlery and if I had a flat stomach I'd do it), but she can go have an abortion without my knowledge. She can not get stitches in the ER without my written concent, but she can go to some clinic and have an abortion. It's not the abortion I have the issue with. Hopefully my kid will be smart enough to use a CONDOM, since I will provide them if necessary, it's that she can't get her belly button peirced with out me being present? This is backwards!

RES # 4 - Religion is what man did to spirituality. Regardless of what you believe, or don't believe, religion is a creation of man, not god. Just my two cents.

RES # 5 - I love American Idol, so not comment here.

RES $ 6 - NEVER apologize for being honest. Honesty is something that is hard to come by these days. We live in a world where everyone is too concerned about everyone getting a trophy! Life doesn't work that way, so deal with it.

Just my opinions, take them or leave them.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in freedom of speech so go ahead and rant and rave! I love your website Stewie.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Jen-

Thanks for the feedback.

IF your a Republican how do you feel about the direction your party has gone in the past 6 years?

That's my issue.... At their core the party has a lot to offer... The whack jobs they've let highjack the party are just nuts.

The abortion thing is much like freedom of speech in my opinion.

The moment you give an inch the Christina Right will demand a mile.

I agree it's backwards and I honestly have no problem with parental notification. However, "consent" is a problem in my opinion. If your daughter notifys you and you discuss it fully with her and then she decides she wants to end the pregnancy then I believe she has that right. Wether or not you agree.

Unfortunatly, the Christian Right would take parental notification and push for consent. They would also push for father consent.

Now we have two or three people deciding what that women can do with her own body. There lies the problem.... The belly button ring is a stupid thing and you're right it makes no sense.

I'm of the belief that if a person wants to stick a piece of metal in the stomach or tounge thay should knock themselves out. After all, 80% of the reason to do it is to piss your parents off.

Religion is a man made thing. We agree on that.

Thanks for the opinions.... I'll take them ;-)

3:19 PM  
Blogger B. said...

You already know this, but being a conservative, Christian republican I will continue to read your blog and comment as usual. Although we have a bout zero things in common, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on things and love reading your blog. Keep it coming. I still marvel at how the blog world has brought "together" so many people who otherwise had a zero percent chance of getting together and befriending each other in real life.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Well, that felt like a kick in the stomach, but I guess I deserved it. I'm sorry.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Great post, my friend.

Please try not to offend me though. I'm dainty.

Luv,

D.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Reading back over my last comment, I realize it sounded pissy...I actually mean that I feel absolutely terrible that you felt like you needed to censor anything due to me. I think I was PMSing at that time or something, and I was simply bothered by yet again being made fun of for my interests.

Please, Annoyed, no matter what...don't change for someone stupid like me.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

You know what I told myself when I fell off the wagon after quitting smoking? We all die sometime so you might as well live it up. Same goes for eating well. I'm not advocating eating at McDonald's every day, but cut yourself some slack.

I'm actually a liberal Republican in the true sense of the word, but the way the party is now is disgusting.

Even though I watch American Idol, I was screaming the loudest when Arrested was cancelled.

I agree with everyone else who said you shouldn't censor yourself. It's your blog, dammit!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Rusty,

Check your email.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I did...check yours. :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Hi Annoyed!

You wrote: "That's my issue.... At their core the party has a lot to offer... The whack jobs they've let highjack the party are just nuts."

That's a very good point. It's the core that attracts me, not necessarily the people in higher places. If I'm being honest, I'm disgusted with both parties. I'm disgusted with politicians in general and I don't vote down the party lines. Lately I wish there was a "no vote" category because I can't say either party has anyone I would want to vote for at this point. The right wingers have gone too far. But so have the left wingers. It pisses me off that my kids (if they wanted to) can not bow their heads at school and pray. It pisses me off that we live in a "feel good" society. The whole politically correct thing just annoys the hell out of me. There are problems from both ends.

So, yeah, my party is basically screwed up. Will I switch? No. The core is what I stand for. Call me old-fashioned, but it's what I believe in.

As far as the whole abortion thing goes. I'm no fool. This is the world we live in and hell, I had sex long before I graduated HS. It's my job as a parent to give my kids the tools they need to survive in this world. That includes showing them where condoms are locted in the drug store. This is not a liberal thing, this is a practical thing. We are sexual beings. My kids are going to have sex. It's not a big deal. The big deal becomes when parents don't talk to their kids. Don't give them the information they need to make INFORMED decisions about their life. So, yeah, it would my daughters decision, not mine. However, there is a Dad. The girl didn't just get herself pregnant. I do have two sons. So, I'm kind of not sure where I stand on this issue. I guess my real issue is if you think you are old enough and mature enough to have sex, then use the condom.

Word of caution to anyone reading this. My youngest child is refered to as the "It Broke Baby." yep.

Jen.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Jen -

There was a "no" vote in 2000... I used to vote for Nader. I was disgusted with both Bush and Gore.

Looking back I wish Gore ran as the man I know now... The one with intelligence and a sense of humor. The one dedicated to protecting the enviroment.

Not the "middle of the road" nobody he became.

The funny thing is when asked if he'd ever run again he said he wouldn't.... Not because he couldn't win (after all, he already did that) but because he feels he can do more good in the private sector.

Sad that a private citizen with a slide show can change minds and make a difference but the Leader of the free world hasn't done anything to make that world a better place in the past six years.

George Bush is the worst President in history. There is no debate in my mind.

If I had known the ammount of influence he would allow these Christians radicals to have I would have campaighned for Gore.

They RUINING the country. Helping put America well behind the rest of the world in science and education.

Today, JFK would be considered a moderate Republican based on his views. People seem to remember him with great fondness. He represented something bigger than his office.... Hope.

When the last time anyone was able to look at either side of the political landscape in this country and feel that?

Sad.

The Abortion thing will never be solved in our lifetimes. It's a wedge issue who's ONLY purpose is to divide people and swing elections. (the same way gay marriage keeps making its' way onto bills in time for every election in a swing state)

In the end, the best the radicals can hope for is that it gets knocked down to a State level. The federal government has no place in the operating room.

If Tennesee and Alabama want to out law it then fine.... Billie Sue will have to fly to New York to have an abortion.

I would want to know if I got some women pregnant and I would like a hand in the decesion making. However, in the end, it is still her body and that I have no control over.

Personally, I would want to keep the baby and own up to my actions.

But that's my choice and opinion.

-------

The prayer in school thing is a bit over blown.

If a kid wants to lower their head and say a prayer to themselves.... Okay!

IF that same kid starts preaching out loud about Jesus than there's a problem. My kid shouldn't be subjected to that in place my public tax dollars are used to fund.

Religion wants to be treated as a private, non taxable enterprise... They take in billions of dollars a year and pay no tax on it.

If they want a say in public policy they need to pay the cover charge like everyone else. They can't have it both ways.

They want to help pay to build the science classroom? Then I will have a lot more tolerence for what they "think" should be taught there.

People with no respect for science have no place in an educational setting.

8:16 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Annoyed,

Has anyone ever told you how amazing you are? I don't even know you, but there is a genuiness to you. Honesty that is so hard to come by these days. I truly respect that. Even though we don't see eye to eye on everything.

We could go back and forth all day I think on these topics. And never offend the other. I think. That is what I like about you. I can speak my mind freely. I dont' have to dance around the issue. I always feel like I have to say the "right" thing.

Thanks for being you. You're a good man.

9:10 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

i'll be around..its even better when someone gets all bent!

Good luck on the healthy living portion too!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

I'm late chiming in. But I'll always be around. You rock!!

8:59 AM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Great post. There was some great comments in there too. Good luck on the food and smoking thing, we are all dealing with that. I am more republican then democrat, easily, but I have some problems that keep me registering as an independent. I think the party needs thinking people like yourself.

Can't wait to read more! Keep 'em coming!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home