Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Viewer Mail #1

First one is from Fresh Air Lover, which seems fair...

What album has most affected you personally and why?

And another.....

If you had to take 5 books with you to a deserted island for one year and they were the only entertainment you were allowed to have, which ones would you pick and why?


As far as albums go I would have to narrow it down to two.

The first one is The Rising by Bruce Springsteen. The reason(s) why have been posted Here

To many to type again.

The second would have to be this....



I wouldn't have made it through my early 20s without it. I had a long string of bad relationships and obscene amounts of depression to go along with it. This album made it a bit better knowing their was someone else that could relate.

NPR radio, from Fordam University in NYC, had a top 90 essential album poll a couple of months back and this one finished in the upper half of the list. When you voted you could give a sentence or two about why you were voting for a particular album. One woman who voted said it best... "I may have out grown this album but I could never have survived growing up without it"

My thought exactly.

As to the second part of the question....

I'm not a big reader of books. I mostly gravitate towards non-fiction magazine stuff or articles off the internet. Quick hits of info. However, I can pick five I would take the following...

1. The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World - A.J. Jacobs

2. The Complete Works of Shakespeare

3. The Complete World of Greek Mythology - Richard Buxton

4. The Bible

5. Lyrics 1962 - 2001 - Bob Dylan

Those should keep me busy!

Keep those qustions coming! (if you choose)

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve H said...

how did i know the answer to the album question...??? your original post about 'the rising' is still among the best i've ever read.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

Read The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World first. Maybe it'll teach you how to spell "Shakespeare".

HA! Just messing with you, A. You know I love ya.

- D.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Hotwire- Good to have yoy back brother!

Dim - I thought I was spelling that wrong. When I typed that spelling into Amazon hundreds of books came up with that excact spelling.

Deb- The greeks were just smart enough to name multiple gods instead of one. One God is a nice therory I suppose.... No more valid, but a nice therory

6:46 AM  
Blogger JT said...

good choice in albums, however I would have to pick Styx Grand Illusion because well, it kind of fits my childhood - it was all an illusion. Don't ask.

Books - we have different tastes, which is cool, but I think I'd love to read One Man's Humble Quest - sounds interesting.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I knew there would be something about Bruce Springsteen once I saw her question. Where's Bob Dylan, though? We've certainly had THAT discussion! :)

The Bible? Really? Why? (Read that tone as "intrigued", not nasty, plaese.) I didn't really think you believed in anything you'd find in the Bible.

7:34 PM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

i have a few questions.

1) Who is your favorite sports team..and least favorite?

2) What is your dream car?

3) You can cure cancer or AIDS in one swoop..but only one..which one?

4) You see a penny on the ground do you pick it up?

5) You are on death row..you get a final meal..it can be appetizer(s) to desert..what is your final meal?

6) You can interview 1 dead person for 10 minutes..who do you bring back and why?

7) Paper or Plastic?

8) In your opinion..where do you go when you die?

9) You win a massive lottery amount..what are the first TWO things you do...be honest!!

10) If you could change one thing about blogging what would it be?

6:58 AM  
Blogger B. said...

Whoa! Annoyed, you and I actually have something in common. I know from reading your blog that we are VERY different, but I have that Counting Crows cd in my car. I also listened to it a lot in my late teens as I began college. I remember putting the disc into my computer and doing homework while it played. Love it! Also, I would take the Bible and Shakespeare. I love how two very different people can still enjoy some of the same things.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, how about if you could take five boobs to a deserted island?

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home