Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again.....

..... Back into my God-Damned fingers

I've been sitting in my apartment for three days, with a bunch of posts in my head, freezing my nuts off. Shivering next to the phone that refuses to ring to let me know what the hell is going on with my writing submission..... Just sitting here, staring at the phone while my testicles crawl slowly into my throat.

Why you ask?

Because there's no heat in my apartment. Oh, and it's really cold outside. Add those two things together and you have me.... A cold, pissed off guy with blue fingers.

The problem is, this apartment is really old. It's the second floor of a three family house and every window leaks cold air. None more than the kitchen window where the air just POURS into the house. To describe it terms you'd understand I've come up with this....

Niagara Falls.......

Now, turn the water into ten degree air and that's the scene as it pours into my kitchen.

Imagine how happy I am every month when we open a $400 PS&G bill..... I'm honestly thinking of buying a small stove and just burning dollar bills one at a time in my living room. I think it would be cheaper and I'd actually have some heat to show for it.

We did seal off the window last night and that seems to be working. The thermostat reads 64 today, up from 50 yesterday. My landlord stopped by to measure the window so he can replace it....
I assume, right in time for spring.
The next person who tells me about Global Warming is getting punched in the face.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jenny G said...

Take money off your rent. It's your landlord's responsibility to fix the cracks so that doesn't happen. A $400 heating bill? Holy shit.

7:34 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Annoyed,

Geez, that so sucks! I don't live far from Niagara Falls, but it's only cold outside. Although I'm sure my heating bill this month will be over 200. I know, doesn't make you feel any better, or warm up any part of your body.

Waiting for people to get back to you about submissions sucks even more. Good luck dude! Me trying to send you heat!

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I am complaining about my apartment being 75 degrees and swampy, and you're freezing.

Damn. Sorry about that. That's rough.

5:10 AM  
Blogger March2theSea said...

is there any law on this?! Crazy!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Gina Thompson said...

I'm confused about the $400 heating bill. I can sympathize a bit (though not close to as severe)... the house i live in now is old and is not insulated. we have good heating, but it just goes away as soon as the furnace turns off. so as i'm typing this i'm wrapped in my coat and a scarf.

And the "side effect" (if that's what you want to call it) of global warming is an ice age. fun, huh?

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live in an old place too and man...I don't know how they did it back in the day. People must have been cold from November until April.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$400 a month?? I'd need a second job!! How'd you seal your window? I have the same problem.

Lela

10:51 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Lela,

Any hardware store would carry it. We got it ACE.

Just ask for a window insulation kit.

Costs between 5-10 dollars.

It's a plasitc sheet and tape.... You run the tape around the window frame and stick the plastic to it. Then you take a hairdryer and fuse them together. Pretty basic stuff and it does a great job. Our Bedroom is very warm and the kitchen window is leaking about 2% of what it was.

Good luck

2:19 PM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Dear Annoyed,
Put on a sweater ;-)

Love, your Dad.

3:10 PM  
Blogger B. said...

I'm with JG, you need to talk to the landlord about taking some money off of your rent to make up for the heating bill since this is not your fault. We did the same thing with the window insulation kit two years ago and it worked pretty well.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home