Monday, July 10, 2006

Random Vent #11



Your championship trophy needs to be bigger than a dildo!

After one month of soccer matches the winning team gathers around a trophy smaller than the ones given out to children as "participation awards" in youth sports.

If you want me to take your sport seriously you need to actually compete for something of worth! (National Pride doesn't count. After all, it would take a lot more than a soccer match for France)

These teams don't even get to keep the trophy! They give it back next year and it's replaced with a gold plated substitute!

You'd think the winner of the most popular sports competition in the WORLD would have something of value to show for it! For Christ's sake, the second place plate at Wimbledon is worth more.

Oh, and deciding a WORLD championship with penalty kicks is like ending the Superbowl in a tie and asking the opposing quarterbacks to take turns throwing a football through a tire!

Wake me up again in four years.... Second thought, just let me sleep.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Come on, thats a lovely trophy,
wonderfully understated, chic even.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

you wanto to hear a rant? get me (or my 6 year old son) going one time on 'participation trophys'.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

This was great!

I used to play floor hockey as a pup. All I remember was throwing a fit that I didn't win the Sportsmanship Trophy. Oh, the irony.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

THat get one... That one!

However, it's made of gold and has to be given back next year. It's replaces with a gold-plated replica.

The whole situation is sorta like the deal with teh Stanlet Cup in Hockey.. However, the NHL is not even 1/10 the deal soccer is worldwide.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

Wow, that was a recod for typos...I really need to start looking over my comments before publishing them!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

LOL, Annoyed...I'm sweeter than to tell you that you had all those typos...but now that you said it - wow, there sure were a lot of typos in that comment. :-P

Hilarious post...I think World Cup Soccer is one of the stupidest things ever, and don't even bust on me for watching NASCAR. Auto racing kicks the ass of pro soccer many times over. Our trophies are freakin' awesome...HUGE mondo things...a grandfather clock at Martinsville, a massive cowboy boot at the race in Texas, a Gibson guitar at Nashville... I could go on. Not some stupid piece of crap like that thing that they have to give back every year!

8:51 PM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Ha ha ha! You are dead on with this one! (Love the France comment too) They should get a gift certificate to Denny's or a free pizza party with that at least, just like the kids.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Potsie said...

Granted soccer isn't popular in the US. Go to another country, like England for example. Their soccer fans are like our football fans, only they actually engage in fisticuffs for their teams. When was the last time you fought for Biffle, or JR? I would go to a race for the party and chicks, not the race itself.

BTW, love that name Biffle.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Were you addressing me, Schlemiel? I've gotten into arguments with people over drivers and race outcomes, which I realize sounds horribly redneck-y (which I'm not), but never actual fisticuffs.

If you went to a race, even if you thought you were going to the stupidest thing ever, you'd enjoy it immensely and probably be hooked...and I don't just mean for the girls. There are some hotties there, of course, but many women are NOT the kind most guys are turned on by. Being at a race in person is just really neat.

Yes, Biffle is a great name. Dick Trickle is even better.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home