Monday, February 20, 2006

Hot Wheels, Anyone?

Try as I have over the years I am unable to "get" Nascar racing. As far as I can tell, it's just a bunch of redneck-hicks driving around in circles. This was something I enjoyed watching as a child when it was called "The Dukes of Hazard." Now that I'm older, I find my attention span to be much better. Grown men, in fast cars, just doesn't do it for me.

I have tried to understand this "sport" I have asked many questions and have been told all sorts of wonderful things about it. I still didn't get it.

Yesterday I decided to give it a full chance and drove to my friends house to watch the Daytona 500. He has a 53 inch HD TV and I figured this would be the way to watch it for the first time. I arrived, watched about five minutes of the race and had to ask "So, what's the big deal about this?" I was told, "Nothing happens until the final 10 laps" This was great news considering we were on lap 10.

Only 180 to go!

So I spent the next 3 hours watching the race and hoping for wrecks. This is the thing you do I guess? It's a sick way to spend a day in my opinion.

Anyway, we get down to the final 10 laps and now I'm thinking "here we go!"

Not so fast!

Wreck.

Now the race is driven under a "caution" meaning no one can pass until the wreck is cleaned up, so they just drive around at half speed until the race can resume. It finally resumes and now I'm thinking "Here we go! Take 2"

Wreck..

Another caution...

Jesus, this was worth waiting three hours for?

That mess gets cleaned and now we have two laps to go.... Action packed, right?

WRONG

Another wreck! Race over....

What the fuck kind of "sport" is this? I guess rednecks needed an excuse, after football season, to stay drunk all day on Sundays? This is the only excuse I can find for this activity being so damn popular. It must have been a bunch of good ol' boys sitting around and saying.."Damn now that football is over we have to spend time with our wives on Sunday. Not so fast... I've got an idea. Let's get some cars and drive them around in circles all day! We'll call it a sport and the wives will never know"

The popularity of this "sport" is mind boggling. Further proving we are in deep shit as a nation. A bunch of people watching cars drive around in a circle.

That's all your doing!

"Well, you need to be there to understand it"




I don't think sitting next to a guy, married to his cousin, drinking Busch Light is going to change my mind all that much.

In fact, I think if I had shown up yesterday to this..

... set up in the living room, in place of the TV, I would have enjoyed myself just as much. In fact, I would have had twice as much fun!

Nice rebutal found at the following link..

http://rusty1120.blogspot.com/2006/02/i-lovenascar.html#comments

7 Comments:

Blogger Dim said...

Primary thought: Prepare to face the wrath of Rusty!

Secondary thought: They have Busch Light?

- D.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I agree with you 100%, but Dim's right: Rusty will be leaving a scathing comment. I mainly like hockey for the roughness and fights, but at least other stuff happens in between.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

I actually was thinking of Rusty while writing this one

:-0


Hope she doesn't go too hard on me!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Hmmm...my posse has arrived before me, I see. There is a reason I love you guys, Jenny and Dim.

Annoyed, if you were thinking of me while writing this, what were you thinking? I'm curious to know.

Assuming that you assume I'm at least fairly intelligent, were you wondering how someone with a college education and a brain could possibly enjoy something so horrendously stupid?

Were you hoping a little bit that all the racing talk was just a front and that I actually have a modicum of class?

Were you wondering how I would respond to being called an idiot? You know, I've been called many things, but NEVER have I been labeled an idiot. Had you written this without knowing someone would read it who falls into the category of, as you say, an "idiot who watches cars drive around in a circle," it would be different.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course! I would never dispute that. I pretty much hate baseball, and think it's boring as all hell. But if you waxed poetic about your love of baseball, I would think twice about calling you an idiot who watches steroid-addled losers prance around as fast as they can to pieces of white plastic.

That's called respect, and even though our views are different on a bunch of issues, I thought you had earned mine. I haven't known you long enough to consider you a friend exactly, but I didn't expect such a low blow from someone whose posts I usually look forward to reading.

I'm sorry you wasted a Sunday afternoon on such drivel, and I'm sorry you've made the acquaintance of such an idiot.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

There are exceptions to every rule and I was speaking in general terms of course.

Also, if you go back and read this I'm going after the guys.

Like the one with the #3 shaved into his back hair! I also think you're taking it entirly too personal. While I have offended many people who have read this blog and you have laughed along with everyone else.

Nascar fans, in general, shouldn't be off limits just because one of my favorite readers is one. If that were the rules I would never write about religion, children, weight issues, and a host of other things that would "offend" people.

I do love baseball. IF you wrote a post attacking baseball fans as idiots I would respect your right to do so. I wouldn't agree but I would understand to make things funny sometimes lines may be crossed.

Also, I stand by my thoughts that it really is just a bunch of guys driving around in circles.

I can understand a woman watching some of these guys and I'm sure their sex appeal is tremendous. And yes they are skilled drivers.

But you will never get me to understand why grown men LOVE these guys..It's very gay and very strange to me.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

I think the guys just wish they had all the money and hot chicks and got to drive massive-horsepower-driven cars for a living. And we are very, very loyal fans, even the men. It has nothing to do with sexual attraction on their part, they just root for that particular driver with crazy abandon.

Interestingly, in my piece on why I love NASCAR, I never mentioned thinking the drivers were hot...I DO think some of them are hot, but it's not why I watch.

Annoyed, I wasn't taking anything personally except the "idiots" part. I've called fellow fans idiots, for sure, and I agree that the weirdo with the shaved back is psychotic. I've laughed along with you and ranted about many things I think are stupid, too. I call people idiots all the time, but I personally would draw the line before using the term on a friend, even one I've never met. Somehow, it seemed like you must have known it would hurt my feelings when you wrote it, and I'm just not used to being made fun of outright.

I took absolutely no offense to you not liking NASCAR or even totally making fun of it...believe me, Jenny makes fun of it all the time. I just thought that since you knew I would read it that maybe you could have chosen a better wording, which you did, and I appreciate.

Even without that particular offense, I would have written you a scathing comment, just for fun. :) I don't mind at all that you don't "get" racing, and I don't expect everyone to like it like I do, of course.

I AM sorry that you didn't like it at all...I would think that even if you don't understand it or its appeal that there would be SOMETHING to enjoy about the afternoon.

By the way, I wasn't really mad at you...just a little hurt. Continue on with your hilarious rantings about various things that annoy you. I do like your blog a lot.

And thanks for calling me one of your favorite readers. That made me smile. :)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Mr. A said...

I use the word "idiot" quite freely here.

When I wrote the post I knew it would anger you because you are such a fan. I didn't know you feel "personally" attacked.

If I had I would have happily and without question chosen another word from the get go.

Now, look forward to my scathing post on birdwatching...

;-)

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home