Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The great landlord in the sky

I'm getting a little tired of the need to express concern or "feel bad" every time someone almost dies.

I know, I know that's a HORRIBLE thing to say!

However, I'll give you an example.

My girlfriend's mother's landlady had a stroke today. She's in really bad shape and my girlfriend is very upset by this having known the woman her entire life.

On the surface it seems like a sad story except that the woman is very out of shape and has been a chronic smoker her entire life. Just recently she was hospitalized and the doctor told her to quit smoking and start eating better. She told my girlfriend's mother that she refused to stop smoking and had a basic "kiss my ass" for the doctor.

Today, she strokes out...

Now, someone tell me why I should waste one minute "feeling bad" for this woman? She was warned, repeatedly, that her behaviors would do her in and refused to modify them at all.

I can't be bothered with ruining MY day every time one of these fat, smoking, none exercising, lazy, due nothings has their tickets punched by nature.

It reminds me when people actually cried when Jerry Garcia dropped dead. People actually said "why?"

Or better yet when John Candy dropped dead of a heart attack in the Arizona dessert while filming "Wagons East"

When you weigh 400 pounds and smoke FOUR packs a day stay out of the 115 degree heat asshole! I loved John Candy and I loved Jerry Garcia but I refuse to "feel bad" because they didn't seem to give a shit to begin with.

Listen, I'm a smoker and I told my girlfriend tonight if I smoke till I'm 60 and die of lung cancer please don't feel bad for me. I choose to be a dumb fuck and please don't burden yourself with the consequences of MY behavior.

In the end, I wish the landlady and her family well and I hope she recovers just fine. If she does I hope she begins to listen to her doctors and tries to get a bit more healthy. I hope, for her sake, it's not already too late .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the landlady drops dead! It would serve her right.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this blog and totally agree with you. I'm a non smoker but food is my addiction.

Like you are aware of the impact your smoking has on your health, I'm aware that I'm probably contibuting to my demise through emotional eating and lack of exercise. Because of that, I don't really expect anyone to feel bad if I drop.

Which leaves a little confused why you wish the landlady changes her habits when she recovers?

I mean, you've just explained that you will take the good with the bad by choosing to smoke because you like it, so why hope to change the landlady's choice of habit if this is what she likes? By the sounds of it, she, like you, enjoys the habit and quite possibly has accepted that it may one day kill her just as you have.

The problem with why people feel bad when someone like John Candy dies is not because they feel bad for John Candy.

We feel bad because WE no longer have them in our lives.
WE are the ones who are feeling loss.

The bad feelings have nothing to do with our concern for that particular individual.

Guess this is just another example of how self involved the human race really is. We seem to sound concerned for the person who died but really, we're just mourning what WE have lost.

So it really makes no difference if a person dies because they lived an unhealthy life.
People will mourn the unhealthy the same as the healthy.

Thanks for letting me have my view.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home